The Chester Bridge under construction in 1896 from the East Liverpool side of the Ohio River looking toward the soon-to-be town of Chester, West Virginia. The ferry boat Ollie Neville was forced out of operation once the bridge was completed. Hills and Kilns page 187.
The Chester Bridge, as it was named, was completed and opened to the public on 31 December 1896. Costing over $200,000 to construct, the combination suspension and truss bridge provided a link to a large area of level land. After a little more than a year, the bridge company went into receivership when it could not pay the interest due on its bonds. The bridge was operated by the receivers for about three years. C.A. Smith eventually gained controlling interest in the company and the bridge was later sold to the East Liverpool Traction and Light Company. Hills and Kilns page 188.
The Chester Bridge in 1899. Trolley car crossing.
The Chester Bridge was also U S Route 30, Lincoln Highway. This picture was from 1966 showing the narrow sharp turn required to get onto the bridge. The building on the right was the Memorial Auditorum. Now the downtown YMCA.
Date unknown, Different perspective on the entrance to the Chester Bridge.
The Closing of the Chester Bridge. Wednesday, May 14, 1969.
Tearing down the old Chester Bridge 1970. Jack A. Lanam Slides.
Tearing down the old Chester Bridge 1970. Jack A. Lanam Slides. Tearing down the old Chester Bridge 1970. Jack A. Lanam Slides.
© 2007-2012 East Liverpool Historical Society, all rights reserved.